When do I have to register As Self Employed?

15aIt’s important to tell HMRC that you are self-employed as soon as possible. If you don’t, you may have to pay a penalty. You don’t want to pay more to HMRC than you have to as it is a waste of your money. Your business has started when you start to advertise or you have a customer to buy your goods or services. It is at this point that your business is ‘trading’. You cannot register before you start trading. For example, if you advertise your business in the local newspaper on 15 January but do not get your first customer until 29 March; in this case, you have been trading since 15 January. You must tell HMRC within six months of the end of the tax year in which you start self-employment. You must therefore register by 5 October. But it’s best to register well before this so that you do not forget to do so.How do I register?

APAS Business Solutions would like to help you to register your self-employment with HMRC and access the registration service direct through the HMRC for you where you will be automatically signed up and enrolled for the associated online service. This will allow us to fill in and send your Self -Assessment tax return online to HMRC. Once we have registered you for Self-Assessment, HMRC will send you a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). A UTR is a 10 digit reference number